Tiropita (Greek Cheese Pastries)
These crisp and flaky Greek pies filled with feta cheese and oregano are a delicious savoury suitable as an appetizer, main dish or midday snack! The pastry for Tiropita is made using our Kaló Authentic Greek Yoghurt, creating a perfectly light and authentically Greek dish perfect for any time of day.
Makes approx. 15 pastries.
Share this recipe
250g self raising flour
175g butter, melted
125g Kaló Authentic Greek Yoghurt Natural
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
150g feta cheese
½ tsp oregano
Pepper to taste
1 egg yolk, beaten with a splash of milk
1. Mix self-raising flour, butter, Kaló yoghurt, sugar and salt until well combined. Cover and rest for 30 minutes in a warm place.
2. Pre-heat oven to 180oC.
3. Grate feta cheese and mix with whisked egg, oregano and pepper.
4. With a rolling pin, roll out pastry to 2mm thickness.
5. Using a circular 10cm pastry cutter, cut out the pastry. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of the feta mix onto one half of the pastry.
6. Using a brush or finger dipped in water, brush lightly over the edge of pastry. Fold over the other half of pastry and seal with a fork
7. Place on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. With a pastry brush, glaze tiropita with egg/milk mix and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 180o C for approx 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Filling alternatives: cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and dill, egg and pepper