Annie Bastow's Banana Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to fill the kids’ lunchboxes or creating something special for an afternoon tea or birthday party, this lovely cake ticks all the boxes. Nothing beats the traditional crowd-pleasing combination of banana and chocolate chips, and the addition of smooth Meadow Fresh Sour Cream to the mix makes this cake beautifully moist and light. You’ll find yourself baking this simple but classic recipe time and again.
Share this recipe
Filling and icing:
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 115g butter, softened
- 1 scant cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 125g Meadow Fresh Sour cream
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Grease a 20cm cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Mix the filling ingredients together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat well. Stir in the sour cream, mashed banana and vanilla extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold into the creamed mixture.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into the tin and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle half the filling mixture over the top.
- Spread remaining cake mixture over and finish with remaining filling mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in the cake tin for 20 minutes before moving on to a wire rack.