Spiced Tamarillo & Coconut Porridge
Impress your loved ones with this delicious brekkie number, or just simply treat yourself. Warm and tangy, this porridge is the perfect start to the day and the best way to enjoy tamarillos when in season. Before you know it, your friends will be knocking on your door first thing in the morning!
Share this recipe
- Poached Tamarillos - Poach a few tamarillos at the beginning of the week to last for a few brekkies!
- 2 cups of water
- 3 Tamarillos
- ½ cup Chelsea Brown Sugar
- 1 Star anise
- 1 Cinnamon quill
- 1 Vanilla pod – sliced lengthways through centre
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 cups of water
- Toasted coconut
- Chelsea Coconut Sugar
- Cacao nibs
- Meadow Fresh milk
- Meadow Fresh Authentic Greek yoghurt
To poach tamarillos
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and plunge tamarillos in for 3 minutes.
- Retain the water but remove tamarillos and carefully peel off skins leaving the stems intact.
- Add brown sugar to the water and bring it to boil again.
- Add star anise, cinnamon and vanilla pod to the saucepan and boil for a few minutes.
- Bring heat down and add tamarillos. Gently poach for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Slice tamarillos lengthways once they have cooled down.
- If you are not using them straight away, keep them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To toast coconut
- Bring a frying pan to a low to medium heat.
- Place your desired amount of coconut into the pan to toast.
- Toss the coconut until brown and set aside.
To make oats
- Place the oats and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, consistently stirring to stop oats from sticking to the saucepan. Cook for a further 1 minute.
- Scoop oats evenly into two shallow bowls.
- Sprinkle the oats with your desired amount of coconut sugar, toasted coconut and cacao nibs.
- Place a dollop of Meadow Fresh Greek yoghurt in the centre, top with half of a poached tamarillo and Meadow Fresh milk.