Orzo Salad with Cottage Cheese and Summer Vegetables
Sultry summer days call for fresh salads that celebrate seasonal ingredients. Put a Mediterranean spin on traditional leafy green salads by using orzo pasta as a starting point instead: this delicious but simple recipe combines orzo with vibrant yellow peppers, cucumber and fresh mint and packs a punch of protein with the addition of light, nutritious Meadow Fresh Cottage Cheese. Add a little lemon zest and juice and you’re done: this is the perfect salad to accompany the smoky flavours of barbecued meat, or simply enjoy it as a light but filling meal on its own.
Share this recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups orzo
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 long telegraph cucumber, lightly seeded and diced
- Handful mint leaves, torn if large
- 250g Meadow Fresh Cottage Cheese
- Pour the olive oil into a large bowl.
- Finely grate the zest of 1 lemon and add with the juice of both lemons.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. (If you wish add a little honey to sweeten).
- Cook the orzo in a large saucepan of lightly salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Mix through the prepared peppers, cucumber and mint.
- Dollop half teaspoonfuls of the cottage cheese in and gently mix.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and serve.