Macaroni and Cheese
Substantial, nutritious and economical, it’s easy to see why macaroni cheese is a family favourite. This easy-to-prepare recipe makes plenty but is still easily doubled if you’re feeding a crowd, and any leftovers will make a tasty lunch or after-school snack the next day. Add fresh herbs for a little extra flavour or make a richer version of the cheese sauce by combining Meadow Fresh Cream with the Meadow Fresh Original Milk. The cheese sauce works just as well for other kid-friendly dishes like cauliflower cheese, too – and it’s super-quick and easy to prepare with a bag of Meadow Fresh Grated Tasty Cheddar Cheese to hand.
Share this recipe
- 1½ cups dried macaroni
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3½ cups of hot Meadow Fresh Original Milk (full cream milk)
- 1 cup Meadow Fresh Grated Tasty Cheddar Cheese
- 4 rashers streaky bacon (diced and cooked)
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- Extra ½ cup Meadow Fresh Grated Tasty Cheddar Cheese for topping
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish.
- Cook the macaroni in lightly salted boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to arrest cooking and set aside while you make the sauce.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat, then stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook the roux, stirring continuously until lightly golden. Gradually add the hot milk and cook until the sauce is glossy and thick enough to coat the back of your wooden spoon. Stir in the grated Meadow Fresh Cheese, the cooked bacon, and the macaroni. Season to taste.
- Spoon into the prepared dish. Mix the breadcrumbs and extra Meadow Fresh Cheese together and sprinkle over in an even layer.
- Place in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Tip: make a richer sauce by replacing ½ cup Meadow Fresh Original Milk with ½ cup Meadow Fresh Cream.
Finish macaroni and cheese with 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves.