Green Pea and Spinach Soup
Creamy and nutritious, this simple but tasty soup makes a delicious light meal or a perfectly elegant entrée course for your next dinner party. Curry powder provides a punch of spice to enliven the more subtle flavours of the peas and spinach, while the addition of Meadow Fresh Cream as the final step creates a rich, smooth contrast to the hearty, chunky consistency of the pea and spinach mixture. Serve this with some thick slices of toasted ciabatta or baguette spread with plenty of butter and enjoy.
Share this recipe
- 25g butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Small bunch mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 800mls vegetable stock
- 2 cups frozen baby green peas
- 250-300g spinach, stems removed and leaves finely sliced
- ½ cup Meadow Fresh Cream
- Extra mint leaves to finish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the onions and curry powder and cook very gently until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mint and vegetable stock and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add the peas and spinach, bring just up to the boil, then reduce the heat again and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- To finish: Strain the soup, returning the liquid to the saucepan.
- Place half the spinach and pea mixture in the blender and puree.
- Combine this with the remaining spinach and pea mixture so you have a chunky consistency.
- Tip all this back into the liquid in the saucepan, mix well and add the Meadow Fresh Cream. Gently reheat and serve in warmed soup bowls topped with fresh mint leaves.
Gluten Free (GF) and suitable for Vegetarians (V).