Buttermilk Summer Fruit Loaf
Bursting with sweet summer flavours, this delicious but easy-to-prepare fruit loaf makes a perfect teatime treat. Berries, apricots and orange zest provide plenty of fruity goodness while Meadow Fresh Buttermilk in the mix ensures a super-light, fluffy bake. Served fresh from the oven, this loaf would also make a simple but tasty dessert – drizzle it with Meadow Fresh Vanilla Custard or add a scoop of ice cream on the side and garnish with a few extra fresh berries. Good luck stopping at one slice.
Share this recipe
- 1 ½ cups Edmonds Self Raising Flour
- ⅓ cup Chelsea Caster Sugar
- finely grated zest of ½ an orange
- ½ cup Meadow Fresh Buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g melted butter, cooled
- 4 small apricots or plums, halved and stones removed
- ½ chip raspberries or other berries
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a medium-sized loaf tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a large bowl and add the orange zest.
- Mix together the Meadow Fresh Buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract.
- Fold into the dry ingredients with the melted butter then spoon into the prepared tin, smoothing the top.
- Place the apricots and raspberries on top, pressing some down a little into the mixture.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the fruit.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Slice Meadow Fresh Buttermilk Summer Loaf and serve with Meadow Fresh Vanilla Custard.