Everyone loves a traditional scone, but you’ll find that baking with Meadow Fresh Buttermilk takes your already-delicious scones to a whole new level. This simple recipe will produce the lightest, fluffiest scones you’ve ever tasted – they’re perfect straight from the oven with just a little bit of melting butter. But let’s face it – it would be a shame not to smother them with strawberry jam and whipped cream as well.
Share this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Lightly grease a baking tray. Sift the self-raising flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub into the flour. Stir in the caster sugar.
- Using a fork mix together the egg and the Meadow Fresh Buttermilk and add to the flour mixture.
- Again using the fork, mix together, then turn out onto a lightly-floured bench top. The dough should be very soft and a little sticky.
- Pat the dough out into a round, 2.5cm-3cm thick.
- Cut into triangles and place each triangle on the baking tray, placing them close together.
- Brush tops with a little milk, then place in the hot oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until well browned.
- Remove from the oven and place in a tea towel sitting on a wire rack.
- Or you could use a plain round cutter to cut out dough into small round scones before baking.
- Use either a 6cm or 7cm plain round cutter.
- These scones are delicious split and topped with whipped cream and homemade strawberry jam.