Spiced Tamarillo & Coconut Porridge
What better way to start the day than with this divine Spiced Tamarillo & Coconut Porridge?
Keep porridge interesting with a combination of luscious ripe tamarillo and fragrant toasted coconut – It’s a match made in heaven. With a big bowl of this winter favourite, you won’t be walking out of the house hungry in the morning. Just be warned: once you’ve tried it, there’s no going back.
Share this recipe
2 cups of water
½ cup brown sugar
1 Star anise
1 Cinnamon quill
1 Vanilla pod – sliced length-ways through center
1 cup of oats
2 cups of water
Meadow Fresh milk
Meadow Fresh Greek yoghurt
Poach a few tamarillos at the beginning of the week to last for a few brekkies!
To poach tamarillos:
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil and plunge tamarillos in for 3 minutes. Retain the water but remove tamarillos and carefully peel off skins leaving the stems intact.
- Add brown sugar to the water and bring it to boil again.
- Add star anise, cinnamon and vanilla pod to the saucepan and boil for a few minutes.
- Bring heat down and add tamarillos. Gently poach for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Slice tamarillos lengthways once they have cooled down.
- If you are not using them straight away, keep them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To toast coconut:
- Bring a frying pan to a low to medium heat.
- Place your desired amount of coconut into the pan to toast.
- Toss the coconut until brown and set aside.
To make oats:
- Place the oats and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, consistently stirring to stop oats from sticking to the saucepan. Cook for a further 1 minute.
- Scoop oats evenly into two shallow bowls.
- Sprinkle the oats with your desired amount of coconut sugar, toasted coconut and cacao nibs.
- Place a dollop of Meadow Fresh Greek yoghurt in the centre, top with half of a poached tamarillo and Meadow Fresh milk.
Prep time: 10 mins